Father Michael loves Jesus. He has seen how Jesus transforms lives, including his own. He considers it a great privilege to follow Jesus, help others do the same, and serve as a priest in his church, which is the body of Christ – where we find our identity and unity (not unanimity) as we gather around Jesus in worship, experience the life-changing power of God’s love in community, grow as disciples who make disciples, and go forth in the Spirit bearing witness to God’s love and power in the world.
Before coming to Church of the Redeemer in 2022, he served as rector at a pastor-sized congregation in Idaho for nearly twelve years, associate rector at St. George’s in Nashville for nearly seven years, and as intentional interim in several congregations around the Diocese of Tennessee for three years.
He lives in Murfreesboro where his wife Kristine serves as rector of St. Paul’s Episcopal Church. They have two delightful teenagers. His last name sounds like “Blaze.” You can call him Father Michael, Father Blaess, or simply Michael – whatever you are comfortable with.
The Redeemer community exists to share the power of the Lord Jesus Christ through worship in the Anglican Tradition and through the demonstration of His love in our daily lives.
The Church of the Redeemer was started in Shelbyville in 1853. The original church building (pictured), a small brick structure in the style of English architecture, was consecrated by Bishop Quintard, on August 1, 1868.
In the early 1920’s the church was dissolved.
The church was reorganized as a Mission in 1935. A building was secured just a few blocks from the Courthouse Square (our current building).
This building built in 1817 by the Presbyterians, was used by several denominations through the years. The furniture, preserved from the original Redeemer, was moved into its new home. The Gailor family, being especially interested in the new church, the last officially authorized by Bishop Gailor, gave the altar from his private chapel at Sewanee for use in the Redeemer. On May 5, 1936, the Church of the Redeemer was consecrated by Bishop James M. Maxom. The furniture and altar are still in use today.
We believe in one God,
the Father, the Almighty,
maker of heaven and earth,
of all that is, seen and unseen.
We believe in one Lord, Jesus Christ,
the only Son of God,
eternally begotten of the Father,
God from God, Light from Light,
true God from true God,
begotten, not made,
of one Being with the Father.
Through him all things were made.
For us and for our salvation
he came down from heaven:
by the power of the Holy Spirit
he became incarnate from the Virgin Mary,
and was made man.
For our sake he was crucified under Pontius Pilate;
he suffered death and was buried.
On the third day he rose again
in accordance with the Scriptures;
he ascended into heaven
and is seated at the right hand of the Father.
He will come again in glory to judge the living and the dead,
and his kingdom will have no end.
We believe in the Holy Spirit, the Lord, the giver of life,
who proceeds from the Father and the Son.
With the Father and the Son he is worshiped and glorified.
He has spoken through the Prophets.
We believe in one holy catholic and apostolic Church.
We acknowledge one baptism for the forgiveness of sins.
We look for the resurrection of the dead,
and the life of the world to come. Amen.